Corn mill De Hoop was probably built around 1654. Since 2015, the mill has been milling again and runs weekly thanks to the efforts of volunteers.
Molen de Hoop was built in the second half of the 17th century – presumably around 1654 – as a flour mill. There are indications on old maps that a mill has stood on the same site since 1541. It is possible that the mill is older than 1654, but it is more likely that the De Hoop mill had a predecessor on the same spot. Parts of a post mill have been found near the mill.
The mill fell out of use in the 1920-30s as machine-driven mills had taken over. In 1941 a wooden vane broke, after which the mayor ordered the removal of the other vanes as well. The mill has since fallen into disrepair. In 1952 the mill was bought by the Oud-Wieringen Foundation, after which a restoration of the wicker cross followed; in 1960 the mill was again fitted with blades and a second-hand steel windshaft from 1865, originating from the demolished Grunnewick mill in Polender. In 1977 the mill was fitted with a new sail cross with steel rods.
The Wieringer Molens association acquired the mill in 1991, followed by a major restoration by volunteers in 1993-1997. The entire hood was replaced and the fuselage was refurbished. Both grinding chairs were rebuilt between 1997 and 2001. The mill has been running regularly since 2001. It took until 2015 before the mill was made milling and again produced flour for human consumption.
Sources: Association De Wieringer Mills: www.dewieringermolens.nl The Dutch Mill: www.molens.nl Monuments Register Cultural Heritage Agency: www.monumentenregister.cultureelerfgoed.nl