Cornwerdermolen

This mill was built in 1907 by firm J.H. Westra from Franeker to drain the polder, 318 ha, the water board 'Cornwerd' in the same year by Mess…

This mill was built in 1907 by firm J.H. Westra from Franeker to drain the polder, 318 ha, the water board 'Cornwerd' in the same year by Messrs TH Rinia, R. Zwaagstra and T.P. Postma. A second mill on the canal near Wons milk was demolished in 1925. Until 1972 the mill turned on but after a heavy wind storm, an electric motor installed in the mill to the auger to propel. Later a small fully automatic pumping station located next to the mill, and in 1999 the mill was fully restored and she got her original job back, albeit on a part-time basis, staffed by volunteer millers. Of the "monk" has fled the mill of 20 meters and equipped zelfzwichting. Zelfzwichting can be pulled shut to catch more wind. This system, in the 19th century developed in England and Germany came through our country where it was widely used in the 3 northern provinces. The operation of the valves is behind the mill, at the tail bar. Here at the tail bar is located, the catch warp to the catch (brake) to operate, as well as the kruilier with which the cover with the blades of the wind can be rotated, making use of fixed poles (creep eels) which is around the mill to the reel-yard stand. With force 5 bft (Beaufort) or more, there may be 2000m3 / h moved. Sincerely, John Hutchinson & Martin de Jong

Location

Don't miss a thing!

Receive the latest news, the best stories and the best routes from VisitWadden.