Broerekerk (church)

The Broerekerk was built in the 13th century as a monastery church of the Friars Minor. The monastery was abandoned and demolished in 1580. The three-aisled church without a tower is a ruin as a result of a fire that took place on 8 May 1980. In 1986 the church was opened again as a ruin.

This oldest monument in Bolsward received a special glass roof in 2006. The designer, architect Jelle de Jong from Lemmer, managed to solve various dilemmas for reuse by covering the remains of the building with glass. Under this special canopy, the church can again fulfill a social function, while retaining the character of a monument.

Opening times

  • On the days when the Broerekerk is not rented out, it is open to everyone from about 9 a.m. to about 6 p.m. in the evening. In the winter the gate closes a little earlier. On Saturdays and Sundays, the gate opens at around 10.30 a.m.


Don't miss a thing!

Receive the latest news, the best stories and the best routes from VisitWadden.